Genealogical History Of Hudson And Bergen Counties New Jersey
EARLY SETTLERS OF BERGEN COUNTY – Part B
Originally published in 1900
Cornelius Burnham Harvey, Editor
1682) North of Zabriskie. in section 22, lay lands natented to Claps Jansen Romeyn, fronting east on the Hackensack and extending to Sprout Brook. Romeyn conveyed parts of these to his sons, John, Albert, Daniel, and Claps Romeyn, and to David Ackerman, John Zabriskie. Peter Laroe, and Henry Van Giesen, husbands of his daughters Gerrebrecht, Elizabeth, Lydia, and Sarah, respectively. Jurian Westervelt, Isaac Van Giesen, Panlus Vanderbeck, and John Berdan each purchased farms from Romeyn, in this section, all bounding east on the Hackensack. Section 24 comprised the Kinderkamack patents, granted by Governor Gawen Laurie to David Demarest, Sr., his son John, his son-in-law John Durie, and Peter Franconier. The latter gold his portion to John Demarest, who a few years later conveyed it to Cornelius Claes Cooper. The Demarests, Duries, Coopers, and Van Wagoners were the principal settlers in this section. The Indian sachems who signed the grants in this vicinity were Mamche, Sackamaker, Coorang, Rawatones, and Towackhaek.
In 1699 George Willocks and Andrew Johnston procured a patent for several thousand acres, consisting of tracts in various localities, west of Saddle River at Preakness, The Ponds, Paramus, etc. These lands were mostly in section 31, and were sold, among others, to John Laurence Ackerman, Jacobus Laurence Ackerman, Jacobus Kipp, John Romaine, Jacob Kipp, Tennis Hennion, David Hennion, Edo Merseles. Martin Ryerson, John Bogert, Jacob Outwater, Nicholas Slingerland, John Le Toere, John Berdan, Samuel Van Saun, Ruloff Romaine, George Vreeland, Stephen Camp, and Zekiel Harris.
George F. Ryerson procured a patent for a considerable tract in 1748, adjoining north and east on the Preakness patent, which he sold to persons having similar names to Urie Westervelt, John Stagg, John Romaine (Romeyn), and others. These were in section 31.
Rev. Romeyn’s Library (Hackensack – 1778)